Post #3

Out of the 4 themes, I chose home & social life. I chose that one because I think there is lot of recurring problems that are seen all over the world. While they particularly focus on South Korea, the US has the same issues with technology. Kids depend on phones like they're a lifeline. In South Korea they even talked about people dying because they've spent so much time on the computer, without eating or drinking for days! Digital Nation showed a family where the child spent all of his free time on the computer. And his mom couldn't get him to stop, she started noticing that he wouldn't even hold conversations with her anymore. They would sit down for dinner, not say word and he would get right back up and go back to the computer. The mom expressed how worried she was about losing her son completely. It gets to a point where being on a phone or computer for that long is just ridiculous. So South Korea created a camp, it lasts about 2 weeks and its technology free. While it helps for some children it didn't seem to help all. after watching the film I think we can all say that sometimes no matter how hard you try, you can never get away from technology.

I picked two examples from the procon website. the first one is "Social media allows people to improve their relationships and make new friends." It said that 72% of all teens connect with friends via social media. That number came from the website pewinternet.com, I think that although it could be biased, it does seem quite accurate. If you asked half of the class how they communicate with friends, I think most of us would say social media or texting. The next example I have is a con, it says that "Social media facilitates cyber bullying." 52% of students had reported being the victim of cyber bullying through social media cites like Facebook Instagram and twitter. That stat was from statisticbrain.com. For this one I don't think it's too reliable because of the .com, I went to the website and there is a lot of information about almost everything. I think it's just too all over the place.


Comments

  1. I agree with how you thought that the statistic, " 75% of all teens connect with friends via social media", is an inaccurate statistic consider that almost teen do in fact involve their lives around social media. The statistics are always hard to know if they are good and reliable when so many people and authors have such different numbers and opinions on them all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

post #11

post #10