Post #7

Some basic ideas of cultivation theory are, that over time television alters our perception. Which I think means that the more we see something, the more normalized and the more fearful we become of something awful happening to us. This applies to the video "How We See Violence" because in the video John Oliver talks about how torture is constantly shown on TV shows and movies, and in those programs torture always works. It becomes normalized to us, which connects back to the cultivation theory that Gerbner discusses.
I also think that hearing the word violence or torture, is different than explaining how that person was killed, or how that person was tortured. In the video with John Oliver, he read a few parts of a book written about torturing people the government believed to have information about terrorists. When you start hearing exactly what they did to that individual it makes you stop and think, how could we do this to someone, especially someone that could turn out to be a innocent individual. I think if we all stopped normalizing violence and things like torture, we would see how awful it really is.

Comments

  1. I also emphasized the fact that the more you see something time and time again, the more used to it you become. I find it funny how in movies and TV shows torture always seems to work, when in reality is rarely does. What picture are they trying to paint?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good point on how torture has become normalized in today's society. Like you said, we are so used to seeing it all over movies, television shows, and even the news that we don't even realize the harm we are doing. Which goes to show that maybe television does have an effect on how we act in real life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post #3

post #11

post #10